Franklin M. Fisher was the 3rd thesis chairman of Stanley Fischer. The first was Miguel Sidrauski who died in 1968. The second was Duncan K. Foley.
This post considers the hypothesis that Stanley Fischer plagiarized Nils Hakansson in 1969 in Fischer’s MIT Ph.D. thesis. Fischer claimed he saw Hakansson’s 1966 thesis late, after writing relevant sections of Fischer’s thesis. Fischer didn’t comment then about Hakansson’s uncertain lives working paper at Yale which corresponded to chapter 5 of Fischer’s thesis.
“Optimal Investment and Consumption Strategies Under Risk, an Uncertain Lifetime, and Insurance,” International Economic Review, 10, October 1969, 443-466.
“Optimal Investment and Consumption Strategies Under Risk for a Class of Utility Functions,” Econometrica, 38, September 1970, 587-607; reprinted in Stochastic Optimization Models in Finance (eds. W. T. Ziemba and R. G. Vickson), Academic Press, 1975, 525-545.
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/63728 Interview of Stanley Fischer by Olivier Blanchard 2004/2005
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/13873 Essays on assets and contingent commodities.
Description: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dept. of Economics. Thesis. 1969. Ph.D.Vita.Bibliography: leaves 193-195
dc.contributor.advisor Franklin M. Fisher. en_US
dc.contributor.author Fischer, Stanley en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2005-08-11T12:00:00Z en_US
dc.date.available 2005-08-11T12:00:00Z en_US
dc.date.issued 1969 en_US
dc.description Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dept. of Economics. Thesis. 1969. Ph.D. en_US
dc.description Vita. en_US
dc.description Bibliography: leaves 193-195. en_US
dc.format.extent vii, 196 [i.e. 197] leaves en_US
dc.format.extent 27933841 bytes
Questions to ask Franklin M. Fisher
- Karl Shell had a copy of Hakansson’s thesis at MIT in 1966 from public records. You shared an office with Shell while he was at MIT through 1968. Did you have a copy of the Hakansson thesis at that time?
- Did you talk to Shell about it?
- Was it a major breakthrough?
- You became editor of Econometrica which was going slow on publishing Hakansson’s paper. Who was the referee for the Hakansson paper at Econometrica?
- Why was the Hakansson paper published so late?
- In a letter dated June 4, 1969 from Econometrica to Hakansson, the final version of his paper was accepted. That letter is signed by Jacques E. Dreze, Co-editor. Did you see that letter prior to its being sent?
- Was there any change in referee?
- What were the referee’s objections?
- Why were similar objections not made to the Samuelson and Merton papers published in August 1969 at the MIT/Harvard journal Review of Economics and Statistics?
- Doesn’t Fischer’s thesis follow Hakansson’s thesis as a template and not Samuelson’s discrete time 1969 paper?
- For example, Hakansson does second order conditions for an optimum as does Fischer, but Samuelson does not.
- Did you see a copy of Hakansson’s uncertain life paper prior to the conclusion of Fischer’s thesis in 1969?
- Who was your office mate after Karl Shell left?
- In the published paper version of Fischer’s thesis he acknowledges that what is chapter 5 is equivalent to Hakansson’s paper “Optimum Investment and Consumption Strategies under Risk, an Uncertain Lifetime, and Insurance”, International Economic Review, 10 Octoboer 1969 443-466.
- Fischer’s paper is “A Life Cycle Model of Life Insurance Purchases,” International Economic Review, (February 1973), 274-77. This is chapter 5 of his thesis. http://www.iie.com/fischer/cv.html http://www.nber.org/vitae/vita191.htm
- When did you first learn of the Hakansson IER paper?
- Did Duncan Foley have a copy from Yale?
- Did Martin Weitzman?
- Did Joseph Stiglitz?
- Did Robert C. Merton?
- Did Paul A. Samuelson?
- Did Peter Diamond?
- Were you surprised when you saw it?
- Did you discuss this with Duncan Foley?
- With Karl Shell?
- Who was referee on the Hakansson IER paper? Fischer’s?
- Did Russia learn of this in early 1970s?
- Was this used by Russia to pressure Nobel Prize nominations in econ for Kantorovich of the USSR?
- How did Koopmans at Yale get onto the same Nobel Prize?
- Was Milton Friedman upset that Koopmans got the prize ahead of Friedman?
- Was Marschak known to be a communist? Marschak was on Hakansson’s committee. Was this used as leverage to plagiarize him?
- Was Koopmans rumored to be one? Also used as leverage to plagiarize Hakansson?
- What happened at University of Chicago in 1952 involving Econometrica and these people? Two people had to resign and the editorial office was moved to Northwestern. What happened?
- Did this have to do with the Markowitz paper and thesis?
- Markowitz had to wait for his Ph.D. until Cowles left Chicago in 1955. He got it the quarter after Cowles left. Is this linked?
- Was this known to Samuelson? He was President of the Econometric Society that year.
- Was that Samuelson’s leverage to plagiarize Hakansson in his 1969 paper?
- Did Samuelson’s paper come after the Stanley Fischer thesis?
- Did Robert C. Merton and Fischer work together as office mates with Fischer doing discrete time and Merton continuous time?
- Did Samuelson learn of this and want to provide cover for Robert C. Merton because he admired Robert K. Merton?
- Duncan Foley has described Miguel Sidrauski, the first chairman of the Fischer thesis as leftist and his wife Martha as even more life and linked to people who disappeared in Argentina after the 1960s. What do you know of them?
- Miguel Sidrauski and Fischer bonded closely?
- They were both Zionists we learn from Foley and from the Blanchard interview. Did they bond on that?
- Did Miguel Sidrauski let Fischer plagiarize Hakansson?
- Did the Sidrauskis have a relation with Russia that you ever heard?
- Was the Fischer plagiarism a ploy to ensnare MIT and Samuelson to pressure Samuelson to nominate Kantorovich of the USSR for the econ prize?
- Was Sidrauski in on it? The source?
- Duncan Foley is a type of Marxist. What did he know of this if anything?
- Who told Russia? Or did Russia figure it out?
- Did Russia tell Martin Weitzman they knew about it at an econ conference in Poland?
- Was he a messenger to Samuelson?
- Was Andrei Shleifer a similar messenger later from Anatoly Chubais and Russia to Larry Summers and Stanley Fischer to get IMF loans?
- Did LTCM and DE Shaw trade Russian government bonds in the 1990s knowing Russia was using this as leverage?
- Was this told to USAO Mass during US v Harvard, Shleifer and Hay from 1997 to 2005?
- During Aaron Swartz investigation? One can use JSTOR files to help discover or prove this.
- Does Russia have a complete copy of all the JSTOR files in Russia?
- Was this ever told to the FBI during any investigation or background check?
- Did anyone tell this to Israel? When?
- Did Israel do a background check on Fischer when it hired him as central banker in 2005?
- Were you questioned by Israel then?
- Did Israel already know of this?
- Did David Levhari tell them? Did you?
- Did you tell the US after you learned Israel knew of it?
- Did you explicitly tell Israel that Fischer plagiarized Hakansson?
- Did you say Robert C. Merton was in on it?
- Did you say Paul Samuelson was?
- Did either of those talk to Israel at that time on this?
- Did they repeat what they told Israel to the FBI?
- What about Larry Summers? Andrei Shleifer?
- Hay got a Ph.D. in math from Steklov Institute c. 2003. Did you know of this? Was it to keep Hay from telling what he knew to the FBI to get a plea deal during US v Harvard, Shleifer and Hay?
- Did Summers protect Shleifer during US v Harvard, Shleifer and Hay because Shleifer was the conduit for this from Chubais? Knew of it?
- Did others know?
- Did Robert Vishny or Jose Scheinkman help Shleifer?
- What did Daniel Rubinfeld know of this?
- Who knew what when as of the ASSA January 2005 meeting in Philadelphia?
- Were you there?
- Who talked to Daniel Rubinfeld?
- What did Rubinfeld know?
- You, Schmalansee and Rubinfeld were all at MIT in 1969 and were all involved in US v Microsoft on both sides. Did you tell any lawyer of this? The judge?
- Lawrence Lessig was special master on that case. Did he learn of it then? Later?
- Did Aaron Swartz learn of this from Lessig? From the Internet?
- Was Aaron Swartz investigating this when he downloaded the JSTOR files?
- Did Swartz commit suicide to protect someone before trial? Someone who was going to come forward?
- Peter Diamond was added to the Swartz committee after someone asked MIT to investigate these matters as part of the Swartz investigation in 2013. Did you hear of any discussion of this?
- Abelson is a friend of Lessig. Was Lessig being protected?
- Was this told to the FBI in the background check for Stanley Fischer?
- How much of this does Russia know?
- Who has Russia approached?
- How much do China, India, Pakistan, and Iran know about this? Have they approached anyone.
- Olivier Blanchard did not know what Stanley Fischer’s thesis was on in the 2004/2005 interview linked above. How is that possible? Part of their book together was on the same subject. No one at MIT told Blanchard?
- Does this show Fischer did plagiarize Hakansson?
- Robert C. Merton states in his Nobel Prize autobiography that Hakansson and Hayne Leland were graduates students elsewhere. Hakansson got his Ph.D. in 1966 and Leland in 1968. Merton’s paper was published in 1969. So they were not grad students then. Was this to cover up that Hakansson went to Yale and the working paper version of Hakansson’s IER paper went to MIT to the office Merton and Fischer shared together while Merton did the continuous time version of Fischer’s discrete time knock off of Hakansson?
- Neither Merton nor Fischer followed Samuelson’s 1969 paper as a template?
- In 2003, Samuelson wrote it was not plagiarism. Did Karl Shell tell Samuelson that someone asked for an investigation of a related plagiarism case in 2002 to Elsevier?
- Should the DOJ Antitrust Division have approved the Elsevier Academic Press merger?
- Daniel Rubinfeld has written that Elsevier’s big bundle violates the antitrust laws. Do you agree?
- Is the role of Elsevier in this and the role of econ Ph.D.’s and econ profs at DOJ Antitrust Division Economic Analysis Group the reason that Elsevier can violate the antitrust laws? Others? Do investment banks know this? Does Goldman Sachs?
- Do they get regulatory benefits?
- Bernanke’s thesis at MIT under Fischer doesn’t cite Fischer’s thesis or papers or Hakansson but does cite Samuelson 1969. Bernanke knew this?
- Did Bernanke bailout the banks because they knew this?
- Did the Fed help bailout LTCM in 1998 because of this?
- No one told the FBI all this time?
- Does Russia know all this?
- Is this why Putin feels so confident he can invade Crimea and get away with it?
- Did Obama know this when he hired Larry Summers? Did anyone tell the FBI then?
- Did anyone tell the FBI this time about Stanley Fischer?
- Does Obama know it anyhow?
- Does Putin have this as leverage over Obama?
- What about China, India, Pakistan, and Iran? Others?
The above are hypotheses and speculation. Please restate as questions. All other disclaimers apply.