The New Republic, TNR, has an article on old Ron Paul Newsletters.
Angry White Man by James Kirchick
The bigoted past of Ron Paul.
Post Date Tuesday, January 08, 2008
What they reveal are decades worth of obsession with conspiracies, sympathy for the right-wing militia movement, and deeply held bigotry against blacks, Jews, and gays. In short, they suggest that Ron Paul is not the plain-speaking antiwar activist his supporters believe they are backing–but rather a member in good standing of some of the oldest and ugliest traditions in American politics.
One quote from TNR:
A 1988 newsletter cited a doctor who believed that AIDS was created in a World Health Organization laboratory in Fort Detrick, Maryland.
The U.S. military or intelligence community is a favorite villain in many conspiracy theories.For example, the Soviet disinformation apparatus regularly blamed the U.S. military or intelligence community for a variety of natural disasters as well as political events. In March 1992, then-Russian foreign intelligence chief Yevgeni Primakov admitted that the disinformation service of the Soviet KGB intelligence service had concocted the false story that the AIDS virus had been created in a US military laboratory as a biological weapon. When AIDS was first discovered, no one knew how this horrifying new disease had arisen, although scientists have now used DNA analysis to determine that “all HIV-1 strains known to infect man” are closely related to a simian immunodeficiency virus found in a western equatorial African chimpanzee, Pan troglodytes troglodytes. But the Soviets used widespread suspicions about the U.S. military to blame it for AIDS. (More details on this.)”
So if CIA did it, its conspiracy theory, if KGB or FSB or SVR did it, its not conspiracy theory. More on Conspiracy Theory websites such as US DOJ and US Supreme Court here. (These sites have very high hits on the word conspiracy.)
Moreover, the Soviet KGB tricked Ron Paul. The 1988 newsletter was while the Soviet Union still existed with its KGB. According to the new head under Russia, it was the KGB that fooled Dr. Paul.
Let us compare the TNR charges to the Russia plagiarism case:
Russia has used plagiarism to try to pressure professors from 1937 to date in physics and economics. This is a public trail of statements. Cases it may impact
- Klaus Fuchs investigation and crown prosecution 1950.
- Rosenberg and Hary Gold Spy Case
- Oppenheimer Security Clearance Hearing 1954.
- Swiss Holocaust Bank Account investigation (Swiss banks may have gathered info on this in 1990’s.)
- Bank of New York money laundering investigation
- Long Term Capital Management hearings by US Congress in 1990’s.
- Loans to Russia hearings by US Congress in 1990’s.
- 1998 Iraq Liberation Act (possible pressure by PNAC)
- US v. Marc Rich and Marc Rich pardon
- US v. Harvard, Shleifer and Hay
- US v. Scooter Libby
- FTC and DOJ Antitrust Division cases 1990’s to present.
Russia has openly published comments on plagiarism and over the years or decades we can match up benefits received or at least asked for to the published comments authored by Russia on plagiarism.
- 1937 Nature Obit Rutherford by Peter Kapitza
- Two letters from Soviet government to Niels Bohr, one in 1944 in London and one in 1945.
- Fock Letter published in Physical Review 1947.
- Comments on Tamm Dancoff in Soviet publications in 1950’s.
- c. 1969-1970 in Matekon on plagiarism by Leontiev of Harvard of Soviet work on input and output.
- c. 2005 article on dispute of Einstein v. Hilbert on General Relativity equations and the possible cutting of a manuscript by two advocates of Einstein in the Hilbert archive.
- Other comments at various levels of inference.
Benefits Russia got or tried to get:
- Hiring of Klaus Fuchs by British.
- Security clearance and employment of Klaus Fuchs at Los Alamos.
- Pressure Niels Bohr to advocate to FDR and Churchill in 1944 to give Russia the bomb.
- Pressure Niels Bohr in 1945 at Terletsky meeting to give secrets to Russia.
- Pressure Nobel Prize nominations in physics from Americans and Brits for Soviet scientists and later Russians. Ongoing.
- Pressure Nobel Prize nomination in economics for Kantorovich in 1975 from Paul Samuelson and Kenneth Arrow, uncles of Larry Summers.
- Pressure IMF loans to Russia from Larry Summers and Stanley Fischer in the 1990’s.
- Assassination of Litvinenko in London and denial of complicity by Russian state.
Piggybacking on Soviet and Russian spying by others.
- China, India, Pakistan, and others may have used this over the years to get their students admitted to US universities and hired as professors and get US grants.
- Pakistan and India may have used it as leverage in 1998 to get away with their nuclear test.
- PNAC during the Clinton Impeachment and during the grand jury investigation of Harvard and Congressional hearings on IMF loans to Russia in 1998. To get the Iraq Liberation Act in October 1998.
- Bush during Bush v. Gore to influence the US Supreme Court to find for Bush or for Gore to give up and not run again for president. Libby, John Yoo, and Paul Wolfowitz may have been involved.
- Marc Rich to get a pardon.
- Pakistan after 9-11 to pressure the Bush team with exposure.
- Pakistan to gain loans and US to look the other way in its involvement with supporting the Taliban and other acts.
- Saudi Arabia to get away with its support of terrorism.
- India to obtain US nuclear technology.
- Saudi Arabia and Pakistan as leverage over UK government.
- Various money laundering cases in Switzerland.
- Matters that may link to the Sibel Edmonds tapes.
Persons or institutions that may be involved in the U.S.
- Administration of Bill Clinton.
- Administration of George Bush.
- Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton’s team.
- US universities including Harvard, Princeton, U Chicago, U Berkeley, UCLA, Cornell, Yale, Stanford, etc.
- US DOJ Antitrust Division, FTC, Federal Reserve, Treasury, Council Economic Advisers, federal judiciary including US Supreme Court, leadership positions in the executive branch and possibly members of Congress.
- Academic front organizations such as NBER and professional societies and journals.
- Academic publishers.
- Wall Street investment banks, hedge funds, etc. who may hire profs or others aware of this.
Some discussion here and links to more information.
The above is speculation and hypotheses. All statements should be restated as questions. All other disclaimers apply.